I will save the “good stuff” for my upcoming LAMBcast. But I thought I would take a moment to reflect on some of what I saw on Tuesday evening.
Things I liked about Prometheus:
- The marketing: I know some people were a bit overwhelmed by the viral marketing campaign. In fact there were even times when I thought that it may be too much. But after watching the film I must admit that it really did not give too much away but instead provided some good context for the proceedings on the screen.
- The acting: especially the thespian triumvirate of Theron, Fassbender and Elba. Oh yeah and Pearce, too
- The surprisingly immersive 3D experience. Prometheus one of the few films that I did not mind employing the
gimmickuse of technology.
- The set design: Director Ridley Scott outdid himself with the set pieces on this film it was in a word – beautiful.
The things I did not like about the film:
- Plot details: I feel like there was too much stuff crammed into the film; a few plot details could have fallen by the wayside for the sake of a clearer narrative.
- An ending seemingly designed to hint at taking the story further (likely a studio version) because I cannot imagine Scott would think of the Alien ‘progenitor’ all by himself.
- Not enough Rafe Spall
Overall, despite some flaws, I enjoyed the film.