The upcoming release of SATC 2 (Sex and the City 2, for the uninitiated) got and the countless girlfriend outings its release are sure to inspire, got me thinking about some fun, funny and sometimes sad movies which would make for a fantastic movie night. So here, in no particular order, is my “Flirty Dozen” (plus a few others). Please excuse a few repeats from previous posts:
- Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001) – Just saw this again last night (for the 1000th time) and still cannot get enough of it! Actually the inspiration for this blog post.
- Muriel’s Wedding (1994) – See previous blog post for my feelings about this Aussie gem!
- Love Actually (2003) – Is love actually all around? Who knows? Still a cute movie.
- Sense and Sensibility (1995) – Part of the “Year of Austen” – 1995; great Thompson script and film that helped launch Winslet’s A-List career.
- Love Jones (1997) – I love this movie because post-watching it definitely sends your mind/heart a flutter.
- Sleeping with the Enemy (1991) – the end is the best part!
- Notorious (1946) – Bergman, Grant …. Hitchcock. Easily one of my all-time favorites
- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) – HUGE camp element
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) – the eye candy which is Paul Newman
- Thelma and Louise (1991) – ladies on the run
- Notting Hill (1999) – several of my favorite elements thrown together – romantic comedy, Hugh Grant, Julia Roberts and London
- The Philadelphia Story (1940) – classic romp sure to please!
- The Women (1939) – the claws are out and they are painted JUNGLE RED
- A Room With a View (1985) – no matter what “best” list I come up with I feel like I need to add this film
- Brief Encounter (1945) – Of course very chaste by today’s standards, but still a fine weepie
Now it is your turn; what are some of your favorite GIRLS’ NIGHT IN movie suggestions? If I take you up on your recommendation, there may be a prize in it for you 🙂