Yeah, summer’s barely half way though, but let’s move ahead and see what’s in store for the rest of 2013, which invariably includes the all-important awards season. Here are 10 films on my radar with a short explanation for why I want to see the film in question. Enjoy!
- Gravity – isolation in outer space looks pretty cool, especially when it involves George Clooney and Sandra Bullock.
- The Counselor – trailer looked rather intriguing and expansive. Oh yeah, and Fassbender’s in it.
- 12 Years a Slave – well I am reading the book right now so you can imagine how excited I am about this. I cannot wait to see how Steve McQueen handles some additional light being shone upon him. And AT LAST a moment for Chiwe to have his moment in the sun.
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom – another personal favorite (Idris Elba) getting some lead love as the iconic anti-apartheid leader. Naomie Harris co-stars. Check out the official trailer; it looks pretty good.
A DEFINITE MAYBE
- About Time – this looks like it would be interesting; I like (director) Richard Curtis well enough. Also, Rachel McAdams seems to like these time travelling movies, doesn’t she?
- Thor: the Dark World – I was pleasantly surprised by the first film. Although Branagh is not heading this second installment, I think the pieces are in place for a solid and exciting follow-up.
- The Best Man Holiday – the first film was a personal favorite from my post-college days so I have the slightest bit of curiosity to see where the story can go from here, over 15 years later.
- Grace of Monaco – two words really: Grace Kelly. Now I know that this will not cover her Hollywood years, but it still looks like a fascinating.
HMM … WE’LL SEE …
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – I have to see the first one I suppose (and finish up the book).
- Black Nativity – may be just what the doctor ordered for the holiday season. And, Kasi Lemmons is a good director so may be well worth a look-see.
What are you most looking forward to seeing?