Here is the trailer again just because … awesome:
As a reminder, we got a hint of her existence in the MCU in the post-credits sequence title in Avengers: Infinity War. This was an ‘appearance’ which took me two viewings and a conversation with my comic book-aficionado younger brother before I ‘kind of” got it.
What bits of information my brother did divulge still did not wholly prepare me for what was to come yesterday. Based on the trailer, it really looks like the MCU is teeing us up for a full-fledged, proper origin story. But the question still lingers … who is she?
So without giving away too much, I did a little digging around (i.e. talked to my brother) and put together this primer for what I think we should know ahead of the release of Marvel’s first female-headlining cinematic outing in the 10 years of the Studio’s existence.
Tale of the Tape (Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel)
In the comic source material, the actual title of Captain Marvel is a moniker given to many characters in Marvel’s history; Carol Danvers is just one of many to inherit the title.
- Full Name: Carol Susan Jane Danvers
- Created by: Roy Thomas and Gene Colan
- First Appearance: as Carol Danvers in Marvel Super-Heroes #13 (March, 1968); as Ms. Marvel in Issue #1 of Ms. Marvel (January 1977); as Captain Marvel in Avenging Spider-Man #9 (July 2012). There are a few other iterations of her character, but I will skip over because I sense these are less relevant to the MCU.
- Family History: oldest of three children; raised in Boston, MA. Joined the Air Force after her father decided to send her brother to college instead of her.
- Occupation: Naval officer in the United States Air Force; later worked for NASA as Head of Security. Both positions had her interacting with established Marvel characters, such as Nick Fury, Logan (Wolverine), Ben Grimm (Thing), to name a few.
- Relationships: Colonel Michael Rossi, Wonder Man
- Superpowers: ???? [Spoilers!] but she acquired them when her DNA was mutated while she worked at NASA.
So there you have it. I hope that it is not TOO ‘spoilery.’ Needless to say, I am rather excited. Are you equally as excited about seeing this HER-o be brought to the silver screen? Hit the Comments section with your thoughts.
Side note: I pray, pray for the day that she stands will Okoye to kick some serious butt!