Honestly, when I started to think about this post, my initial thought was – Geez, this year has been rather “meh” film wise. The focus on the “event” film, or the 3D or just the blockbuster in general, left me feeling fatigued, so much so that I even missed the chance to see several of my favorite actors in the early summer release X-Men: Days of Future Past (MORE on that in general during my Guardians of the Galaxy review this Sunday/Monday — stay tuned).
Try as I might I could not muster the will to drag myself to the local cinema and catch this one.
Or maybe it was the fading afterglow of having attended my first ever Sundance Film Festival. Yeah, I’ll buy that. 🙂
But actually after much thought I realized that actually, the period from January-June did offer up some cinematic delights, at least enough to allow give me a Top 5 list for 2014 … so far. And without further ado, here they are (in no particular order):
- The One I Love – review pending (spoilers and stuff).
- Boyhood – the one that almost got away, and so glad it didn’t.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – one of the better formed comic book adapts for a minute.
- Belle – being hailed as a Jane Austen/Regency/Georgian piece with depth, I think it is more (and different) than that label.
- When the Garden was Eden – “My” New York Knicks in their glory days.
- Honorable Mention to The Only Lovers Left Alive – a film whose experience was punctuated by my attending a midnight screening during Sundance. Also a film where I have warmed to it a lot more post-screening.
So what do I think the future holds? Stayed tuned later today for what I am looking forward to in this latter half of the cinematic calendar.
P.S. Thoughts? Hit the Comments section below.