This weekend was quite busy with the Academy Awards and all; but there was a lot of other stuff going on too. Here’s a recap:
AND THE OSCAR GOES TO …
I lifted my embargo, if ever so slightly – I probably caught about an hour in total of whole awards show. I was flipping between this, Black in Latin America and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? on TCM. Overall there were no major surprises for my part. I was happy for The Artist win. I mostly followed the action on twitter, which was quite fun.
Among the many things I learned this year:
- Jean Dujardin is adorable – probably due in large part to the broken English. I wonder if I would come over as charismatic and endearing with my horrible, non-existent French? I think I know the answer to this one 🙂
- Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph are now on my list of favorite people in the world
- Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne are not fans of Vodka
- Hugo may be worth seeing (wish I had done in 3D)
- No awards show will ever get the “In Memoriam” part right.
- Angelina Jolie has a leg 😉
- Meryl Streep is awesome (but kinda already knew that)
Congrats to all the winners!
WEEKEND BOX OFFICE CHAMP
ANOMALOUS MATERIAL MOVIE DRAFT
On Saturday and Sunday, Anomalous Material was on fire with bids for film titles flying off the board! Alas, my list is complete and the 8 films that I will be tracking over the next twelve months will be:
- Beast of the Southern Wild
- Hotel Transylvania
- Snow White and the Huntsman
- Untitled International Thriller (50% split) – a.k.a. Bigelow Bin Laden film
- Taken 2
- The Lucky One
MY DWINDLING DVR LIST
If you follow my tumblr account, you will see that I also was playing catching with my DVR queue. From Friday, any image posted to my tumblr account represents a film I have seen (less Something New and North and South, which were re-watches). Incidentally, stay tuned for tomorrow’s entry in the ‘Overlooked’ series, as I will be covering one of the films.
Well I am getting better at this whole planning thing so in addition to my entry tomorrow, you can look forward to the following this week:
- My Fantasy Movie Pitch (Thursday)
- Profile of the Pelham Picture House (this weekend)
- Revisiting another Universal Classic (Wednesday)
- and possibly a few more surprises …
How about you? What were you up to at the weekend? Share below in the comments section.